1974 – 1986: British Airways – varied experience as manager, internal consultant and trainer
- Managerial and professional responsibility for British Airways Travel Industry School, a training business generating revenue of £500K p.a. as well as providing promotional training in support of the airline’s marketing strategy
- Training Consultant Sales and Customer Services, acting as internal consultant at managerial level, supporting change processes associated with major shift in organisational culture and management style
- Full range of training and development, including acting as training consultant to specified areas of the company. Training designed and conducted personally includes supervisory and management skills such as problem solving and decision making; interpersonal skills, team building, persuasion; industrial relations; training skills (for captains, flight engineers and customer contact staff); report writing and presentations
- Introduction of assessment and development centres into Engineering Department of 15,000 staff. Researched role of manager, trained senior managers as assessors, designed and ran simulations, chaired assessment committees and advised on subsequent development activities and promotions.
- Within a 12 month period, re-established Recruitment and Selection Department, increasing staff from 10 to 70 and negotiating provision of accommodation and equipment, and led this team in the recruitment of 2000 new staff, using advanced assessment and selection techniques
- Designed and managed the introduction of 250 place Youth Training Scheme, including provision of work experience and off-the-job training
- Developed and introduced company-wide personnel policies and procedures, including submission for Executive Board approval and negotiation/consultation with Trade Unions and Staff Representatives
- Training and management of small team within Engineering Department to handle 2000 voluntary redundancies over a 3 month period
1958 – 1971: Experience in wide range of organisations and functions, including:
1971 – 1974: London Borough of Harrow
Administration Manager: managed merger of two units handling administration/ maintenance of Council buildings.
1967 – 1971: Glacier Metal Company Ltd (Associated Engineering Group)
Company Training Manager: full range of training activities, from induction to management development via fork lift truck driving and power press operation.
Acting Company Training Manager: responsibility for Apprentice Training School during 6 month absence of Manager.
Project Technical Clerk: control of administrative procedures on £3 million engineering capital equipment contract with USSR
1967: Amoco (UK) Ltd
Assistant to Accountant: oil company accounting, service station account reconciliations, customer correspondence, troubleshooting
1964 – 1967: Dexion Ltd – Newsum Timber Engineers
Supervisor – Sales Support Team: management of team providing full range of sales and marketing support, analysis and forecasting, order processing etc.
1961 – 1964: Kodak
Cost Clerk: maintenance of production records, input of data to computer, analysis of chemical usage, investigations of staff suggestions, payroll submission and query handling. Also elected Staff Representative on Works Council, and Safety Representative.
1958 – 1961: Civil Service – Department of Scientific and Industrial Research
Scientific Assistant: in team of 3 setting up the National Lending Library, designing procedures for receipt and lending of international collection of post-graduate text books and journals
Other Related Links
Use the links below to navigate to pages about my current roles, offices held and employment history:
Click on the links below to see my experience summaries by topic: